Friday 4 April 2014

My day with social workers- so much in common- so much which is different.

This week I had the privilege of doing some teaching for about 30 first year social work students. 
They were a great bunch and the day went well. 

The main sessions I did were on what is professional (comparing church ministers practice to social workers.)
What influences the judgements and decisions you make. 
How to use questions to help people learn and how using questions avoid you imposing your values and judgments on others.
Lastly I did a brief session on how I keep going and what sustains me when working with families and families in crisis.  All of which I was freely able to weave my spirituality. 

My main reflections from this day were:

  • Self awareness is key to effective working practice for both professions. You can know all there is to know about social work or about theology and God, but if you don't know you and your strengths and weakness then your good knowledge will be held back. For me I know that my character defects have at times effected my working ability greatly. My response to situations is not just governed by what I know but by who I am. I want to be more like Jesus and the person He would have me to be. I am grateful to the writing of Dallas Willard "renovation of the heart" for helping me in this area.  I am grateful for knowing so very self aware social workers.
  • We are different: Some of the criticism from within the church about those who do pioneer ministry the way we do is that we are pseudo social workers. Once again, a day spent with social workers makes me see that this is so completely a miss understanding of social workers and Christians involved in social action. The boundaries and aims of these professions are very different. Yes there is overlap, but we are different. Yes I think there are many areas the church and social work compliment each other, but we are not the same. 
  • We need each other for justice. When I read the story of Jesus I see Justice for the vulnerable at it's centre. The partnerships which I have enjoyed with the local social services I believe have been for the advancement of Justice for the vulnerable. Neither agencies can claim perfection in this area, but our different working approaches, influences and power I believe are for the advancement of the kingdom of God. 
  • We need each other for accountability. The church and the state provision of social work offer accountability to each other.  Both are separate enough from each other to offer the other reflection on each other practices and help both improve. The fact that a church minister was invited in to do this days teaching shows that there is clearly within social work an agenda to look beyond it's self for wisdom to good practice. I know that I was learning thought the day, I'm a better follower of Jesus and servant of his church for my interactions with social services. 

No comments:

Post a Comment